Trademark Registration in Pakistan by Our Firm
When it comes to establishing your business’s own identity in the market, Trademark Registration is one of the key steps you must not overlook. By registering your logo and other trademarks such as slogans, characters, symbols, or images related to your brand, you can protect your business’s reputation from being misused by third parties. Having a registered Trademark also gives you a competitive advantage in the marketplace. So if you are located in Karachi, Islamabad, or Rawalpindi and looking for ways to register your trademarks under local law, look no further! Our firm specializes in providing comprehensive Trademark Registration services to businesses across these three cities.
The Complete Guide to Trademark Registration
All information about Trademark Registration can be found here. Having a registered Trademark is not required by law in Pakistan, but it is necessary to protect your business and products from competitors. Application forms are available from the offices of the Registrar of Trademarks in Islamabad, Karachi, and Lahore for the registration process.
Trademarks – what are they?
The term Trademark refers to a word, symbol, or phrase that identifies a product or service’s origin. Trademarks allow you to distinguish your goods or services from those of your competitors. A Trademark can be a name, a logo, a slogan, an image, a sound, or a smell.
Generally speaking, a Trademark is a graphic representation that distinguishes one person’s goods or services from those of others, and it may include a word, phrase, symbol, or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols, or designs.
A Trademark is a unique identity of a business that distinguishes it from others in the market. Registering your Trademark gives you legal ownership of it and prevents others from using it without your permission.
The importance of Trademark Registration
Trademark Registration provides protection from imitation and infringement on behalf of the owner by giving them exclusive rights to their brand name, logo, or design used in connection with their goods or services. In addition to protecting the name of the company, Trademark Registration prevents any act that could cause confusion among customers regarding the product or service the company offers.
Types of Trademark
The three basic types of trademarks are
- standard character marks (word marks),
- special fonts and designs (design marks), and
Standard Character Marks (word marks)
Standard Mark, which gives the owner exclusive rights to use the mark in connection with the goods or services for which it is registered.
Design marks are a type of Trademark that protects the visual design of a product or service. Design mark registration is used to prevent others from using a similar design that would cause confusion in the marketplace.
Slogans are a very important part of any business. They help to create an identity for the company and can be used to promote the company’s products or services. A good slogan can be the difference between a successful business and one that fails.
The other types are:
A Collective mark is a Trademark that is registered by an association or other organization on behalf of its members.
A Certification mark is a Trademark that is used to certify that the goods or services bearing the mark meet certain standards.
Lastly, a Service mark is a Trademark that is used in connection with services, as opposed to goods.
Our firm can help you register your design mark in Karachi, Islamabad, and Rawalpindi. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you protect your business.
24/7 Customer Support
If you want to know anything about our services, you can contact us through Phone, WhatsApp.
Benefits of Trademark Registration
To establish rights in a mark, you need only use it in commerce. You do not need to register your trademark. Trademark Registration, however, provides several advantages: It gives you the exclusive right to use your registered mark on the goods and/or services you describe in your Trademark Registration.
There are many benefits to Trademark Registration, including the following:
- A registered Trademark provides legal protection for your brand. This means that you can take action against anyone who uses your mark without your permission.
- Registration makes it easier to prove ownership of your mark. This can be important if you ever need to enforce your rights in court.
- A registered Trademark can be used as a valuable business asset. You may be able to sell or license your mark to others, or use it as collateral for a loan.
- Registered trademarks are generally more recognizable and trusted by consumers than unregistered marks. This can lead to increased sales and market share for your business.
- In the marketplace, it gives your goods/services a distinctive identity;
- The right to be protected from infringement by law;
- Enhances customer loyalty;
- A license can be obtained;
- In addition, legal action can be taken against anyone who uses the mark without permission and an action can be brought in court if necessary.
- Even if your Trademark is rarely used, it gives you exclusive rights to it
- Your exclusive right to use the mark nationwide on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the registration and a legal presumption of your ownership of the mark
The process of Trademark Registration in Karachi, Islamabad, and Rawalpindi by Our Firm
Trademark Registration in Karachi Islamabad and Rawalpindi by our firm is a simple and straightforward process. Firstly, you need to choose the class or classes under which you wish to register your trademark. There are 45 different classes of goods and services listed in the Trademarks Ordinance, 2001. These include everything from “chemical products” to “telecommunications services”.
Once you have selected the class or classes, you will need to file a Trademark application with the Registrar of Trademarks.
What is the process for filing a Trademark application?
Trademark Registration in Pakistan can be applied online under the Intellectual Property Organization Pakistan (IPO) Law to protect your brand name, logo, etc. from infringement. An application for Trademark Registration must be made with IPO on Form TM-A, which contains the applicant’s personal information, such as name/firm name, address, and description of goods/services, along with the fee outlined in Schedule “F”. You or your authorized agent (an advocate) should sign the application.
Our Trademark Attorney has Experience of Years in Trademark Registration
When it comes to protecting your brand, there is no room for mistakes. The best way to do this is by registering a trademark and hiring a professional trademark attorney. A trademark attorney has the knowledge and experience to ensure that your application goes through without any issues. At our firm, we specialize in providing clients with personalized trademark registration services and have years of experience in the field. Our trademark attorneys are familiar with the laws governing trademarks and can help you navigate the complex process of registering your mark. Don’t hesitate to consult our experienced trademark attorney when you are considering filing for a trademark.
Pakistan's Trademark registry
Registry of Trademarks
Islamabad is the headquarters of the Registrar of Trademarks, a government agency responsible for the registration of trademarks in Pakistan and the administration of the Trademarks Ordinance, 2001 (the ‘Ordinance’). According to the Trademarks Ordinance, the Government may appoint a Registrar of trademarks from among those with experience in intellectual property law, including patents, copyrights, and trademarks.
In the Ordinance, the registration system is modeled after that in Pakistan.
An intelligent property organization
Registration of trademarks is done through the Intellectual Property Organization of Pakistan, a regulatory body established in 2005. Patent and Trademark Registration is handled by the IPO-P, a non-profit organization. As a member of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), it works closely with the International Trademark Association (INTA).
Filing & Search
- Starting the application process requires a Trademark search.
- In order to register a trademark, you will need to select a class. Through these categories, it can be distinguished from other marks and found more easily.
- The Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure describes the classes you can choose from.
- Pakistani Intellectual Property Office accepts paper and online applications.
Trademark Registration & Examination Application
When a Trademark application is filed, it takes approximately four months for it to be examined and processed. A Trademark examiner’s report is issued once he has completed his examination of the Trademark application, which may include a request for clarifications or amendments. Your application may also be refused if it is similar to a previously registered mark or a pending mark. In Pakistan, you can appeal against a Trademark rejection within three months of the date of order/rejection by filing a written notice at the Registrar’s office along with the necessary documents and fees. The Trademark Registration process can be done online, where all information regarding Trademark protection, rights, and benefits can be found on IPO Pakistan Website (https://www.ipo.gov.pk). Once accepted for registration, you will receive a Certificate with a TM Seal within 30 days from the acceptance date.).
Journal & Opposition Publication
- Application rejected. The mark may be rejected if it does not meet at least one of the requirements discussed above, or if a third party opposes the mark.
- The Trademark Journal is approved and published. In the absence of objections, an approval order will be issued and published in the journal. Within 4 months from the date of publication of the journal, any person can file an opposition against Trademark Registration under section 23 (1) (a).
- A process of opposition. According to Section 23 (2) (b), upon filing an opposition, a notice will be sent to both parties for a hearing before the Registrar of Trademarks on a fixed date.
- Additionally, once the opposition has been filed, there will be no further hearing before the Registrar until either party requests one or the Court makes such a decision after an appeal has been filed against the Registrar’s decision which prevented the Trademark application from proceeding. The status remains pending until the final registration certificate is issued if no objections arise during the publication period. As per sections 25 and 26 of the Trademark Ordinance 2001, the final registration certificate will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis based on the number of applications pending final examination before the Registry department.
Certificate of Trademark Registration
A certificate of registration will be issued if the Trademark application is successful. The certificate shows the date the Trademark was filed in Pakistan, the class under which it is registered, the term of registration (10 years), and the date it was registered. You should keep the certificate safe as it provides proof of ownership and exclusive rights over your trademark. If you’ve registered a Trademark in Pakistan, you can also use the ® symbol to let others know that it’s legally registered.
In Pakistan, Trademark Registration is a lengthy process, and it is best to consult a Trademark attorney
Once the Trademark is selected, it should be registered under the Pakistani Trademark Ordinance 2001. Registration gives you exclusive rights to use the name/slogan and provides legal protection if someone else uses it.
It is possible to register a Trademark without a professional, but there are many issues that arise during the process that need to be addressed by a Trademark professional. Depending on your particular circumstances, an experienced Trademark attorney can advise you on the best legal strategy for your business.
Contact us for Trademark Registration
If you want to register a Trademark in Karachi, Islamabad, or Rawalpindi, our firm can help you. We have a team of experienced lawyers who can guide you through the process and ensure that your Trademark is registered properly.
To get started, simply contact us and let us know what you need. We will then provide you with a free consultation so that we can discuss your options and answer any questions you may have.